Long-Term Disability Insurance
Carolina University provides all eligible employees the opportunity to purchase long-term disability insurance in the event an accident or an illness removes you from your job for an extended period of time. This coverage is available through Guardian.
- Provides 60% of monthly salary to a maximum benefit of $6,000 per month
- Begins after 6 months of consecutive disability
- Will continue up the lesser of 5 years or age 70
- Includes a 6 / 24 pre-existing condition limitation (see explanation below)
The Disability Insurance applies a 6/24 pre-existing Condition Limitation:
A sickness or injury for which, in the 6 months before your insurance effective date, you received advice or treatment from a doctor for that condition or were prescribed medications o treat that condition. Insurance will not pay benefits for a disability caused by such a condition until you are insured under this policy for 24 consecutive months. The pre-existing condition limitation also applies to benefit increases.
Enrolling or Making Changes
Enrollment is completed in Employee Navigator (Link) during the onboarding process.
Throughout the Year
- Log into Employee Navigator to elect coverage throughout the year following a qualifying event.
- Provide supplemental documentation for the event.
- If adding a spouse and/or a dependent child, submit the required dependent verification documentation via Employee Navigator within 30 days of the event, or by the Annual Benefits Enrollment deadline.
November - December (changes are effective January 1)
Please remember, open enrolment is your only opportunity each year to make changes to your elections, unless you or your family members experience an eligible “change in status.”