You may use Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs) to set aside money through pre-tax payroll deductions to cover qualified health care and dependent care expenses. Carolina University offers two types of (FSAs):
Health Care FSA
Used for eligible health care expenses that are not covered by the medical, dental, and vision plans.
- Contribution limit of $2,750 in pretax dollars from your paycheck
- Your full contribution is available at the start of your plan year
Eligible expenses may include:
- Dental and orthodontia care, such as fillings, x-rays and braces
- Vision care, including eyeglasses, contact lenses and Lasik surgery
- Over the counter medications (Limited)
As part of the CARES Act, over-the-counter (OTC) medications have been reinstated as an eligible expense under the health care flexible spending account, retroactive to January 1, 2020. While retailers update their system to allow FSA debit cards to be used for OTC medication, you may still seek reimbursement directly with PayFlex by logging into your account or by submitting a claim form.
Dependent Care FSA
Used for eligible dependent care expenses, such as child care and adult day care.
- Contribution limit of $5,000 in pretax dollars per household for the plan period
Eligible expenses include:
- Nursery school
- Day care
- Before and after school care
- Summer day camp
You can view other eligible types of case at on Payflex Dependent care
You must re-elect FSAs each year or they will automatically terminate. To easily track your account download the PayFlex Mobile App.
Download the PayFlex App